Have you ever found yourself trying to decide which path to take and hoping you make the right decision? One road looks stable while the other seems full of uncertainty. The decision should be easy, right? But what if the road full of uncertainty is where your passion lies, the things that inspire you and what you feel you have been made for.
I am a big supporter of following dreams and doing what you're passionate about. I believe part of the happiness we all seem to crave is found when we do what we love, but many times we get distracted searching for a “stable” life and end up doing what we feel is expected from us.
I am in front of these paths right now, scared to commit and lose the freedom to do what I love, but faced with the reality that decisions have to be made. As I stare at the paths, I ask myself, “Who decided there were only two possible paths?” Sometimes we limit our options by the way we think. We seem to envision few possibilities, and many times forget to think outside the box.
I know myself and I'm certain that if I don’t do what I love I will stop being me... And I like me! We all have something special to give to the world, our passion, and the beauty of it is that everyone is different.
There is a way to combine making a living and pursuing your passion. It will take dedication, some sacrifices, time, and discipline. These ideas may help you get started:
- Get to know you: Take time to know yourself, to define your strengths, your talents, and your abilities. Be honest, just because you dream of doing something doesn’t mean you're good at it.
- Work hard: Dreams don’t just happen; they require work and dedication. Many times we hear stories about people who reach their goals, but we only see the final result, not the daily decisions and sacrifices required.
- Be responsible: If your passion is not paying the bills, get a job that will; one that will give you the ability to meet your obligations, but still allow you to dedicate time to work on what you love.
- Love what you do: Get in the habit of enjoying everything you do, even if it’s not the job you are dreaming of. You never know the doors that will open, the people you will meet, and the things you will learn. With the right attitude everything you do adds to your life.
- Give yourself deadlines: It’s so easy to dream and keep planning, but without a specific deadline those plans can span into years. Deadlines help you organize your time and make things happen.
- Start now: Don’t allow fear and doubt to get in the way of our dreams. Go out there and do it.
Back to our initial question: Passion or money? I say both. Follow your dreams, work hard to reach them, but also be realistic and responsible. Make every situation matter, live with a purpose, and enjoy your present.